Stacks Image 2306
Stacks Image 548

Map
Directory
Route Finder

KENT - PLACES OF INTEREST | KENT - POINTS OF INTEREST | KENT - PEOPLE OF INTEREST

Whether you are looking for relaxation and the chance to unwind or for something more active including great hand's on fun for the younger family members then Kent is the place for you. With many award winning attractions featured together with the best known places to visit and many smaller less well known attractions.
Choose from enchanting gardens, historic houses, mysterious castles, cathedrals and country churches, fascinating museums, animal parks, steam trains, amazing maritime heritage and much more.
PLAN YOUR VISIT
Headcorn Shopping
There are hundreds of independent retailers situated in the Kent, offering an array of worldwide brands to locally sourced products. Each and every one of them offer a customer service that just can’t be found on the high street.
Check the Headcorn Directory
Headcorn
"Even more celebrated than any of its buildings, though, is the Headcorn oak, a time-scarred veteran in the churchyard, said to be at least a thousand years old and to have grown from an acorn shed in the days when this part of Kent was thick with the vast Andredsweald or Anderida forest. As it grew old, the tree was thought to be in need of support, and wooden props were put against it. But after a while it was found that the props had rotted away and only stayed in position because they were held up by the tree."
Headcorn Market
Headcorn Farmer's Market has now entered it's fourth year and opens every second Saturday from 9.30am to 12.30pm. It aims to provide good quality, local produce and locally made goods so that shoppers can find genuine Kentish producers and products.
Stalls at the Market include free range meat, local fresh fruit and vegetables, venison and game, jams, preserves, honey, cakes, luxury puddings, pastries, locally pressed apple juice from Headcorn as well as handmade local goods.
Headcorn Farmers Market has all the variety you want from a country Farmers Market.
Dining in Headcorn
Whether you want to relax over a cappuccino, enjoy a light lunch, have a fun family meal or indulge in a taste sensation, Kent caters for every occasion.
customer service that just can’t be found on the high street.
Check the Headcorn Directory
Headcorn
Headcorn Kent
A stroll along Church Walk is the best way for a visitor to savour the charms of this ancient village. This quiet footpath with its medieval cottages and neatly kept flower beds was once the main road out of Headcorn. It is one of the largest villages in the area, with about 3,000 residents, many Elizabethan houses and a good range of shops. Just outside the village is Headcorn Airfield for flying and parachuting instruction and charter flights and an 18-hole golf course.

Headcorn today is one of the more attractive of Kent's large villages, with a main street flanked by several nice half-timbered houses, including the Old Cloth Hall to remind us that this is yet another of those Wealden communities that shared in the boom in woollens that followed the 14th century arrival of Flemish immigrants, and lasted until the industry moved north during the 17th and 18th centuries.

There used to be several other equally old oak trees in Headcorn but Authority decided they had become unsafe and they were cut down before villagers really knew what was happening. When, in 1973, a new sewerage scheme meant that pipes had to be laid near the remaining oak, however, local vigilantes mounted a round-the-clock guard to make sure no harm came to it.

Headcorn was the birthplace of John Willes, the man who introduced round-arm bowling to cricket. He later lived and died at Sutton Valence, where there is a churchyard memorial to him.

Just outside the village, at Lashenden, a WW2 airfield reverted to private ownership when the war was over and in 1972 and air warfare museum was opened there. The airfield is still used for private flying, parachute jump training, and by air cadets of 500 Squadron, which carries on the tradition begun by the famous 500 (County of Kent) Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force of 1930.

In April 1985, airfield owner Chris Freeman was awarded a four foot long sword by the Civil Aviation Authority for having the best privately owned airfield in the country.

A Neolithic polished flint axe was found in the stream near the present school in Headcorn, and a bronze palstave axehead dating from the Bronze Age reveal the presence of people in the area from early times.
There is evidence from one site in the south of the parish for a probable farmstead that dates from the prehistoric Iron Age into the early Roman period. This was discovered by fieldwork undertaken by Neil Aldridge of the Kent Archaeological Society between 1993-95. Evidence for iron smelting and a small cemetery with Roman cremations were found.
The earliest written records, are references in charters of King Wihtred and King Offa to Wick Farm, 724 AD and Little Southernden, 785 AD. Headcorn must have started in the days of the Kingdom of Kent, as a den or clearing, to which pigs were driven to feed on acorns in the Wealden Forest.
Although Headcorn does not appear in the Domesday Book of 1086, the Domesday Monachorum (the ecclesiastical survey made at about the same time), records the existence of a church at Hedekaruna. According to the Oxford Names Companion, the name could possibly mean ‘tree-trunk (used as a footbridge) of a man called Hydeca’.
Henry of Ospringe, was appointed the first rector in 1222 by King Henry III. However, in 1239, the King gave the den of Headcorn, with the rectorial endowments, to the Maison Dieu at Ospringe, near Faversham. In 1251, the Master and Brethren of Ospringe, were granted a weekly market on Thursdays and an annual fair at Headcorn on 29 June - St Peter and St Paul’s Day. In 1482 the Ospringe house was dissolved and in 1516, St John’s College Cambridge, was given the Maison Dieu properties. The fair was later held on 12 June, having apparently been merged with the Trinity-tide fair of Moatenden Priory.
The Order of the Holy Trinity for the Redemption of Captives, was founded in France in 1198. Among the first of the dozen houses it established in England, was Moatenden Priory (off Maidstone Road Headcorn), dating from 1224. In 1536, it was suppressed with the smaller houses and its revenues went to the King.
The site was partially excavated by Neil Aldridge of the Kent Archaeological Society and the site of the priory church and other structures were recorded within the garden of the present house which incorporates part of the western range of the priory .This was published in Archaeologia Cantiana for 1995.The site is surrounded by a large moat and a number of monastic fishponds also survive.
The prosperity brought to Headcorn by the weaving industry, established in the reign of King Edward III, is reflected in the houses built at that time and the enlargement of the Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul. Wat Tyler’s rebellion in 1381 was partly due to jealousy and dislike of the prosperous clothiers. In 1450, eighty men of Headcorn took part in Jack Cade’s rebellion and subsequently received pardons.
The remains of the Headcorn Oak are near the south door of the parish church. It was extensively damaged by fire on 25 April 1989, but continued to produce new growth until July 1993. It has been claimed that the Headcorn Oak is up to 1200 years old. However, Ian Mitchell of the Forestry Commission, an expert on old oaks, compared his own measurements taken in 1967, with those made by Robert Furley FSA, in 1878 and estimated it to be only 500 years old.
The chancel of the present parish church, is believed to mark the site of the nave of its 11th century counterpart and the Lady Chapel that of the 12th century south isle. The 13th century saw the construction of a new nave, about half the length of the present one and possibly also a cell on the site of the vicar’s vestry, which dates from the early 15th century. The nave was completed in the 14th century and the present south isle in the early 15th. Late in the same century, the tower and south porch were built.
Kent’s Chantry was founded in the Lady Chapel in 1466, under licence from King Edward IV. In the south isle, just outside the Lady Chapel and in the south wall, is an altar-tomb bearing the Culpeper arms, which also figure over the west door. The font dates from about 1450.
The Baptist community in Headcorn dates from around 1675, the first chapel having been at Bounty Farm in Love Lane. The present building in Station Road, was opened in 1819 and renovated and extended in 1978, following the addition of a hall in 1971.
The exact date of the first Methodist Society in Headcorn is not certain, but it built its first chapel for worship separate from the parish church in 1805. It was replaced by a second in 1854. The present building cost £800 when it was put up in 1867. Headcorn’s Roman Catholics have had their own building since 1968, when the Church of St Thomas of Canterbury was erected in Station Road. The cedar building of 1968 has been replaced by a brick one, dedicated by Bishop John Jukes on 25 June 1990.
Eight roads converge on Headcorn and there are several old bridges. Stephen’s Bridge in Frittenden Road is said to have been built by Stephen Langton, Archbishop of Canterbury 1207-1228. There are records from the reigns of Edward I, Edward III and Henry IV, relating to the need to repair this bridge and Hawkenbury Bridge.
Before railways, the George Inn on Borough High Street was the hub of coach services to Kent, Surrey and Sussex. At 7am on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, the Tenterden Coach set out on a 10 hour journey of 55 ¼ miles, passing through Headcorn. By 1838, the Tally Ho Coach had shortened the journey time, leaving London at 1pm and reaching Headcorn at 8.15pm and Tenterden at 9.30pm. For 130 years (until 1915) Messrs R and J Bennett ran a horse bus service between Tenterden, Headcorn and Maidstone. An advertisement of 1750, illustrates R Hammond’s Tenterden, Staplehurst, Biddenden, Headcorn and Town Sutton stage wagon, with a team of eight horses. It went to London and back once a week, taking two days each way. The current train service from Headcorn to London, takes about 1 hour.
On the 31 October 1904, the Headcorn, Sutton Valence and Maidstone Motor Omnibus Co Ltd opened a service using steam vehicles. This was replaced about 1912 by Reliance Motor Services. Maidstone and District Motor Services was also operating on the route by 1914 and took over Reliance two years later. Nowadays the main operator is Arriva.
The South Eastern Railway was opened in stages, reaching Tonbridge in May 1842, Headcorn in August and Ashford in December. From 1905 to 1954 the Kent and East Sussex Railway operated between Robertsbridge and Headcorn via Tenterden. A proposed extension to Maidstone was never built.
In 1940, following the evacuation from Dunkirk, many thousands of British and allied troops received their first meal in England at Headcorn Station. Local volunteers assisted the Royal Army Service Corps in providing refreshments. 100 trains per day were halted, allowing only eight minutes for each.
The Aerodrome at Shenley Farm, first used by one aircraft in the 1920s, served as an advanced landing ground for Canadians and then Americans in World War II. Today, as a private civil airfield and parachute centre, it also houses the Air Warfare Museum, the Air Cadets of 500 Squadron and a helicopter company.
The 1986 list of buildings of architectural or historic interest has 88 entries for Headcorn, including the parish church (Grade I), the former old vicarage (II*) renamed Headcorn Manor about 1960, the Cloth Hall (II*) and Shakespeare House (II). Foreman’s original store with its overhang, preserved as part of the Foreman’s Centre, marks the site of the old National School, which was in existence by 1846 and replaced in 1870 by the building in Parsonage Meadow, since known as the Church School and now Longmeadow Hall. This was used only briefly as a National School, because a Board School (now part of the Headcorn Primary School) was opened in King’s Road in 1873. Longmeadow Hall is currently being restored as part of the Community Centre project.

Kent Tourism Guides & Maps - Click to View

My Image

Romney-Marsh-Churches

My Image

Royal-Military-Canal

My Image

Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway Timetable 2015

My Image

Battle_Guide

Kent Brochures
Kent Interactive Maps
Kent Towns & Villages
Kent Place Names
Stacks Image 6517
If you have wandered through the Kent Downs whether on foot, by horse, bicycle or car will have, at one time or another, pondered over the meaning of place names of towns , villages or hamlets that we normally take for granted in our everyday lives. Places such as Pett Bottom, Bigbury and Bobbing conjure up all manner of intriguing images as to the activities of former inhabitants, while others such as Whatsole Street, Smersole or Hartlip appear completely baffling.
Although most place names may appear at first sight to be random elements of words thrown together in no particular order, most are surprisingly easy to decipher with some elementary grounding in Old English. Over the centuries most of the Old English words have themselves corrupted and changed to appear as we know them today.
Kent Place Names
Kentish Dialect
Stacks Image 6654
Modern Kentish dialect shares many features with other areas of south-east England (sometimes collectively called "Estuary English"). Other characteristic features are more localised. For instance some parts of Kent, particularly in the north west of the county, share many features with broader Cockney.

A Dictionary of the Kentish Dialect and Provincialisms: in use in the county of Kent' by W.D.Parish and W.F.Shaw (Lewes: Farncombe,1888)
'The Dialect of Kent: being the fruits of many rambles' by F. W. T. Sanders (Private limited edition, 1950). Every attempt was made to contact the author to request permission to incorporate his work without success. His copyright is hereby acknowledged.
Kentish Dialect
About Us
Kentpoi is a free resource.
We seek to offer our visitors something entertaining, interesting and relevant every time they visit this website.

We are constantly updating the content of this website based on the feedback from our audience.

Advertise on this website?

Target Specific Advertising

Terms & Conditions

Terms & Conditions

Privacy Policy

Privacy Policy

Contact
Our Friends
Stacks Image 3369

Kentculture - Promoting Talent
Kentculture

Stacks Image 3373

Website designed and maintained by Themeweavers

Kent Tourism Brochures
Kent Interactive Maps
Kent Towns & Villages